Wednesday, November 22, 2006

The Venusto Experience

For the past 10 months or so, I have had the fortune of playing with the Venusto String Ensemble (established in 1999), an amatuer but devoted group of musicians. We practise every Sunday afternoon from 2pm until approximately 6pm. I had originally joined this organization simply to keep up my pretense of being a marginally competent violinist, however, it became more of a ritual typified by long and arduous practise sessions and dinner conversations revolving around speaking better Korean or English. Venusto was first mentioned to me by a Korean friend whose roomate happens to be the concert master, and he suggested that I come and audition for the orchestra once he learned that I knew what a violin was, clearly being drunk and speaking facetiously. I took him seriously of course, and went to my first practise session the following day.

After 10 months of rehearsal, Venusto staged a concert in Yangjae, a district adjacent to my workplace. Our conductor had selected a fairly wide range of music, including Brahms' Academic Festival Overture, an oboe concerto, and Bach's Tocatta and Fudge in D(oom). Unlike the metal scene in Korea (which showcases a wide variety of talent and style, yet is only menially supported by the public), the turnout for the concert was extremely decent. It felt stimulating to play concerts again, and to be a part of something productive and inspiring.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"It felt stimulating to play concerts again, and to be a part of something productive and inspiring."

And also to be the whitest motherfucker on board, you long haired hippy!

10:50 AM  
Blogger Simon said...

indeed, us fair-skinned vampy types don't fool about

6:35 PM  
Blogger -Jubei- said...

Never learned your scales or modes, did you? Just screwed around in class as I recall!
I'm surprised they didn't just toss you out for your incoherent scratchings

3:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home